Monday, March 05, 2012

What I did today, and what I won't be doing tomorrow (or anytime soon)

Today I wrote an e-mail to the ADD board.


This is what it said:


Dear ADD board, Fresh meat Committee and all other important ADD people,

Through this mail I would like to thank you for welcoming me in your midst the way you have. For giving me a chance to try and start loving derby once again. I want to thank you for accommodating me, involving me and being the awesome people you are. You've done all you could to help a derby depressed girl out.

And I wished I could say it worked. I wished all your efforts and love had been enough. But I am sad to admit, it didn't and it wasn't. I have tried and perked myself up time and time again, but my love of playing derby has really died. I felt it the most during the preparations for your last bout. Everyone was stoked, as they should be. I couldn't even find a spark within myself that was remotely as firestarting as you were, or as I should have been. I just couldn't be bothered.
Whenever I hear someone talk about derby, my stomach turns, and I cannot fathom why this person is so damn happy about it. I know, that is bad.

So I've given all this a lot of thought, and decided I will not force myself to be involved in something that I don't enjoy anymore. In other words, I write you, to tell you I am quitting ADD. I wished it were different, but this is what feels best to me. I want to thank you for all your kindness and help. I will always be a fierce ADD supporter (I own the legwarmers to prove it) and if ever I fall into good money I will sponsor the shit out of you.
Until then, thank you again for everything, keep winning, stay ADD.

Love,

Asa Spades

I was happy to find out, they completely understood. I got the sweetest reply possible. In keeping with the ADD awesomeness.
So I guess this is the official end of me as a derby girl.

I will finish that damn challenge though, even if it kills me.

;)



Thank you all for bearing with me...

Asa

4 comments:

  1. As I have told you in my email, and I will tell you again, we are sad to see you go, but totally understand your choice. Happiness has to come on #1! And if something isnt making you happy then stop doing it!
    I think you are making a very hard but very wise decision. And of course I (and we) support you through it all!

    <3 <3 <3
    Furrrocious

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 See, thats the ADD love...awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happiness and honesty usually go hand-in-hand. And your happiness is what's most important.

    I've considered walking away so many times over the last two and a half years, but I'm a stubborn mule. Or, perhaps, it's just that you have more courage than I do?

    Biggest of big hugs from the bald 'n' beardy one. May retirement smile sweetly upon you... not that any of us ever 'really' retire ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shit, and I never got to meet you properly, I always thought you were the jolly one and up for a laugh at practice, know who we gonna watch derby drills video with! Take care...
    Maz

    ReplyDelete