Thursday, July 28, 2011

Coming to Rollercon - Day Four -Jumping in with all clothes on

I woke up to a text from Bambi, my beloved Vice President, she needed some info from me, so our league can go out and support ADD in their first official bout -THE first official Dutch bout!- against Essen august 13th -if you are in Europe 'round then, please come down! It is going to be AWESOME!-
And of course like derby does, it wound up to be a long stressful mail exchange between me and some league members, that got that rotten 'I-am-so-done-with-derby' feeling right back in my -still naked, because derby always comes first, even before getting dressed-body.

As if he knew M. logged on and calmed me right down, so I eventually id get dressed and packed and checked out of the lovely light Tropicana. My cab dropped me off in the womb of the RiviƩra, where you park underground. My first shift at the registration desk was coming up, I had no clue where to go, couldn't get into my room yet, as my roomie wasn't arriving 'till one, and now was stuck with luggage and no clue whatsoever.

 The bell man obviously saw my confusion and stress and came up to me and asked; 'Are you ok honey?' I asked if they had lockers for bags. He told me no. But offered to keep them in his office. I was reluctant. What if this guy sold my skates? Wore my panties? Then again I really didn't have a choice. He wrote me a note stating he promised to give me my bags when I came to collect them, and I went up in the elevator towards the lobby. And immediately got lost.

While wandering through the casino in search of signs that said Rollercon or Convention or anything remotely like that, I stumbled upon Hunter S. Toss Em. I asked him if he knew where I had to go. And luckily he did Though, to be honest, his directions were; 'Where did everyone go? Oh well, just walk that way and you'll stumble upon it in no time.' They worked though.

So I found the registration office and got in line. While waiting I looked to my left and saw another familiar face. It was Furrrocious! We hugged and decided to go get coffee after registration. As I still had some time until my first shift.

When I signed up for my first shift at the registration desk, wearing my nifty purple shirt -yup, purple, people, one of my least favorite colors- things were hectic. I got shoved next to a nice -and thorough it turned out- girl that showed me the ropes. Soon I was swinging that administration like I had no other passion in the world. In the meantime the nice girl had left, and I was paired up with Axl Rolls. We immediately hit it off, singing, dancing, joking, handing out buttons and stickers (he seemed to have endless rations of in his pockets) and time flew by. We got off early as there were no more people to register for that day.

While at the desk, my roommate Sweetie had come to give me my room key and number, so right after the shift I went down to find the guy that took my luggage. Who was nowhere to be found. Great. After pleading and bargaining with the 'new'guy I got my luggage back. I swore I would never ever trust a bell man ever again. So I handed my luggage to the 'new' guy and asked him to bring it up to my room. Because I can break a promise to myself in case of heavy luggage. ;)

When I got to the room, sweetie was there, with one of her teammates, drinking vodka and sprite. She had put a nice little gift bag for me on my bed. A zipped hoodie, a shirt, a cup holder AND a reflecting backpack to skate with at night. I immediately felt like a bum with the sad swag I sported. I dug up het shirt and promotional pack and hoped she wouldn't hate me for not having so much stuff to give her.

Luckily I really didn't have time to think about that, as I was due for the EMT meeting in another tower of the hotel. When I came in, I was immediately given a vodka and cranberry drink, and that pretty much did me in. I was there, delighted to meet everyone -EMT crew ROCKS!- but that drink hit me so hard I could have fallen asleep right then and there, drooling all over the lovely sofa.

After the meeting I met up with Sandra, Myagi and Sofie at the pool, as there was supposed to be an all night poolparty. But we heard they had to cancel as there were no lifeguards scheduled for that day. Oh well, I was tired anyways, and the next morning we were due for our first announcers powwow at nine!

I got to my room to find Sweetie half asleep with the remote in her hand and the tv on. She sat up and asked if I wanted her to turn off the tv. I told her it was fine. She said; I usually fall asleep to the sound of the tv. I smiled. 'I always do that when I am away from home, well, at home I often do that as well.' She smiled, We understood each other. I got into bed and we both dozed off to a documentary on Amy Winehouses demise. Content.

No comments:

Post a Comment