Tomorrow my Rollercon experience will start with a shift at the early registration desk. So today was my last day of doing little to nothing. After waking up and showering I got myself a nice healthy breakfast -hummus, wholewheat pita, grilled chicken breast strips, cucumber, carrots and tomatoes mmmmm- and went to the pool to try and get some tan on my milky white legs. As I will be sporting short shorts for most of Rollercon, I need the color in order not to damage other skaters eyes.
Somehow I have a knack for finding a place where, right after I've gotten comfortable and am ready to doze off, shadow falls upon me and, in order to get that tan, I need to move. So I spent a good two hours chasing sun, dragging my sunbed from shadowy meadow to shadowy terrace, to shadowy...well you get it.
It didn't really do my tan any good, but at least my lazy body got some exercise.
After that I went up to take a shower and chat on-line with M. It was good talking to him. He says he is doing some work on the house but won't tell me what. I snicker thinking of how I will come home to our bed moved to the shower in order to create a 'waterbed' or the couch being re-built to a catnip paradise.
I know it will be something awesome as M. is way more careful and thorough at building and carpenting than I am. He actually measures shit before he does something. I just stomp stuff into their assigned spaces and then cover the broken bits with ducktape and doilies.
After saying goodbye and wishing him goodnight, I decided to try my luck at some gambling. I don't know the next thing about craps or poker or roulette -okay, that last one, maybe I do, put money on a color and number and pray, but I am always left with the feeling that there is more to it, that I am missing something- so I decided to try the slot machines.
I am always suspicious of the things, up to the point that I am almost paranoid. I am sure that there is an automated process there, counting with me, giving me hope just in time to not stop playing and then taking all away in the midst of small winnings euphoria. When I get really into it, I am convinced the machine knows if the person in front of it has changed, thus changing the odds. This is why I prefer not to get a casino member card. They - the 'they' now becoming larger than life indeed- would know how much or little I play and that would surely not help my odds. So with all this in mind I did the brave thing; turn to the one cent machines.
There were a gazillion of the things, and none looked appealing. In my gambling superstition I feel I need to be 'attracted' to a machine, I need to 'feel' it. This is where I lovingly think of my grandmother who would have a gambling problem if it hadn't been for my grandfather rationing her trips (and pocket money) to the casino. She is a woman of rituals, superstitions, but with a reasonably winning hand. I realize there must be something of her I inherited, the way I go about gambling. After some time I find a machine that has the least annoying beeps and bells and jot a five dollar bill in it. That will give me 500 games, at least.
I push the button -there is really nothing else you can do with this particular machine- and all of a sudden the thing starts yelling and beeping and lights are flashing. I am confused. I see lights go on and off, but am not sure if I am supposed to do something or wait it out. 'You want a cocktail love?' I look up and see an elderly woman in a red lycra leotard, her red lipstick running in the little age lines around her mouth, holding a tray. 'I, I am confused' I say. She bends towards me and pats me on the back, she smells of stale beer and ashtray. 'Don't worry hun, you just won 50 bucks, you want a drink?' I look up at the machine that has stopped it's ruckus. Indeed. I did win 50 dollars. I think I deserve a beer. I mean, let's face it, such a lucky push on a button was really hard work that needs to be rewarded. 'I'll have a Corona please.' 'Sure thing sweetie, and keep playing, there's ten thousand dollars in there.' I watch her walk away while she tries to pull the leotard from creeping up her butt.
I decide to cash out and just drink my beer. But after finishing it I do feel the need to try again. Oh no, I am turning into my grandmother and M. is not here to play my grandfathers role! I go to the bathroom to have a thorough talk with myself. I agree with me that one more gamble is okay, but after that, we are done and going upstairs. And we are not allowed to gamble more than 5 bucks. Nor are we having another beer. 'But it's free beer!' I plead with me. 'Okay, one more beer, but that's it!'
I go back to the machine that treated me so well, and hover in front of it. It could not possibly be programmed to cash out again in such a short amount of time. I hesitate. Me and I are arguing. 'What are the odds?' 'But we have five bucks, we could try two more here, and then move elsewhere if it doesn't work.' 'That is just stupid.' 'But it's just two bucks.' I end the argument by shoving the five dollar bill in the slot. Me grunts, but hits the button anyway. Lights start flashing, the machine starts beeping and screaming. 'And she is at it again!' The leotard is back, with another beer. 'I figured you might like another one.' She looks up at the machine that is still flashing. 'Go pink!' She yells at it. My cheeks immediately oblige. 'Hey girl, you won 75 bucks, you're doing great!' I just sit there and stare.
After five minutes of stupor and inner conflict, I decide to cash out and get dinner. While eating it in my room, I am still arguing with myself. 'Three times is a charm.' 'You'll die poor and in debt.' (I was always one for grotesque arguments) 'Just five more won't hurt.' 'You can't afford this stupidity.' 'But we were on a winning streak.' 'You said it right, we were. WERE.' When I get to dessert -banana loaf with cashews yay!'- we settle on being really proud of ourselves for not gambling anymore. 'Tonight.' 'Ever again.' Tonight, you know you want to try in the new hotel.' 'I don't.' 'You do.' 'So what if I do?'
I start packing, tomorrow is an early day, new hotel, new chances...then again, maybe not. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment