Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Eight weeks towards public scrimmage; Day 9 - The Virtue of Sock Derby and Gold Stars

Last night we merged the Fresh Meat group and Home Team for plyomterics followed by some sock derby.
We started by telling the girls we would like to reward team spirit, so we asked them to vote for the person they thought had shown the best team spirit after practice. Each week the votes will be counted and the winning girl(s) will receive a  gold star. If a girl gets ten gold stars, she is entitled to a derby gift from the coaches.
We then started with a good half hour of plyometrics in which the girls spotted and coached each other through  series of heavy repetitions. They all did great!

As for myself, I liked being able to finally work my body again. Though I felt kind of alone not having a spotter. I tried to sneak my way into other duos, but the girls were to fast for me, and didn't wait up (I guess mainly because  they weren't really aware of my trying to keep up). Another sure sign my stamina needs a lot of work.

After that we divided the group into to two teams. Each team got a captain. The captain would decide which girls would play the jam. The remaining girls would decide what strategy the team would try to follow. Then the jam would  be played while the non-playing girls would ref the jam. Immediately after the jam the captains would explain the chosen strategy, and all players would analyse their play. I think it was the perfect way to build more confidence in our players, work towards a stronger team, and try out plays with everyone. It seemed to lift everyones moods.

I am very much looking forward to distribute some gold stars this Saturday at practice.



No comments:

Post a Comment