When at RollerCon I heard about another Asa Spades. Actually someone even photographed her ass and posted it on Facebook, after which a Dutch friend mistook her ass for mine. Which M. immediately dismissed, saying; 'These are not the buns I know...'
Long story short, I was relieved I had registered and had gotten my name confirmed. And I silently vowed to kick this daring Asa's butt if ever I met her.
We never met. I jokingly told everyone she must be scared of me and went into hiding.
Last night I received this e-mail:
Hi Asa,
I tried to message you on Facebook, but we all know that doesn't always work. Anyway, I'm really sorry that I didn't get to meet you at RollerCon. I did try, but it seems our schedules conflicted. I did get confused for you a few times but that's not exactly the same thing. :) Well, I'm sure you know, as do I, that we currently share the same derby name. I know that you know how I feel, because my friend Blanca told me that you two spoke about it. I am currently using the name as well. Please understand that I mean no disrespect. Unfortunately, I did not expect for this name to be rejected and all of my derby clothing, scrimmage gear, helmet, etc, say "Asa" on them. Until I get a new name, I am kinda stuck with this one for now. I actually didn't buy anything with my name on it for several months, even though everyone in my league was calling me "ASA". But, with RollerCon on its way, I needed to use my derby name. So, a month before RC, I broke down and got gear with my derby name. I triple checked twoevils before I did this.
I would love to have your permission to continue using it. We are in different countries, so I'm REALLY hoping you'll say yes. If by chance we play each other or attend the same function, I'm happy to change it for those situations. Otherwise, I'll just be San Diego's version of Asa. I'm not a high profile skater, other than in the local area, so I don't think anyone will confuse us.
I respect your decision, if you choose not to allow me to continue using it. However, I am hoping (and praying) that you will. I promise not to get famous or do anything stupid to make the name look bad. I am considering other names, its just hard because I've been Asa since February. My friends and family (and few fans) know me by that name. Everyone is telling me to keep it, but I don't feel right about that unless I have your permission (please!).
On a side note, I have met a few other girls named Asa. I think we should all get together, from all over the world, and form a challenge team for next year's RollerCon. The "Smok'n Asas". Thoughts?
Thanks for reading this, I hope to hear from you.
Penny
Asa Spades (2)
This got me thinking. Hard. About how I had felt when I had to give up Rheality Check. About how I still dream of one day moving to SD and becoming a Roller Derby Queen in the US. About how I was entitled to this name, dagnabbit! So I answered her this;
Hey you!
Ah, I was wondering where you went! I even jokingly asked Blanca whether your were hiding from me, afraid that I would kick your ass.
I understand the pain of losing a name. Asa is my second one. Things pretty much went the same for me as they went for you, so I really understand where you're coming from.
There are so many things that go through my mind. Things like; I have a lot of friends in SD and I am there regularly, and somewhere in the back of my mind I have always had the plan of moving back there. What if? And my league mates tell me to tell you, you are simply too late, and that I am rightful owner of the name. All I think about, when I go over my name sharing cons, are selfish things.
But you know what? I am not an asshole. At least I like to think I am not. So what if you have the same name? So what if we, in some far away future, end up playing against or with one another? We'll deal with it then. As a kid I wished to find someone with the same name as me. That never happened. So I will embrace this as my childhood dream come true. I share a name with someone far away that must be awesome or at least have good taste, otherwise she wouldn't have picked the same name. ;P
So Asa, miss Spades, congratulations on your name. And next time, don't run from me, but find me and we'll have a drink to celebrate awesomenameness. :)
And about that RollerCon challenge team; HECK YEAH! Sign me up!
Love,
Asa Spades (the other one)
Ah, I was wondering where you went! I even jokingly asked Blanca whether your were hiding from me, afraid that I would kick your ass.
I understand the pain of losing a name. Asa is my second one. Things pretty much went the same for me as they went for you, so I really understand where you're coming from.
There are so many things that go through my mind. Things like; I have a lot of friends in SD and I am there regularly, and somewhere in the back of my mind I have always had the plan of moving back there. What if? And my league mates tell me to tell you, you are simply too late, and that I am rightful owner of the name. All I think about, when I go over my name sharing cons, are selfish things.
But you know what? I am not an asshole. At least I like to think I am not. So what if you have the same name? So what if we, in some far away future, end up playing against or with one another? We'll deal with it then. As a kid I wished to find someone with the same name as me. That never happened. So I will embrace this as my childhood dream come true. I share a name with someone far away that must be awesome or at least have good taste, otherwise she wouldn't have picked the same name. ;P
So Asa, miss Spades, congratulations on your name. And next time, don't run from me, but find me and we'll have a drink to celebrate awesomenameness. :)
And about that RollerCon challenge team; HECK YEAH! Sign me up!
Love,
Asa Spades (the other one)
World beware, there are two of us now! And strength comes in numbers! :)
My league has an Asa Clubs and a Jackie Spades. We ran into an Asa Diamonds Saturday night at the tournament after party on Long Island. A better Roller Con challenge team might be a "Deck of Cards" team? Or all kinds of gambling implements. Lucy Slots, DVS Dicer, Stardust Dunes, there's a hundred of 'em out there.
ReplyDelete