Thursday, September 08, 2011

Road trip to Malmö; The Battle of the Nordic Light, first day, September 2nd

After the Ref and NSO meeting was done and the hugging started (It’s what happens when Derby people get free time, they spread the love. ;)) I realized I had less than an hour to get ready for announcing the first bout. I was stinky from the drive, high on sleep deprivation and all I really wanted was a shower. Lucky for me Swede Hurt, who organized the whole event and still had loads of things to take care of, found the time to direct me towards Handsome Joe Hanson who was the perfect host. He directed me towards a shower, got me coffee –moooore coffeeeee, I was turning into a shaking sleep deprived idiot by then- water and soothing words, and in a Jiffy I was ready to start announcing.

Working with Handsome was a breeze, we had loads of fun, and from the reactions from the audience I think so had the audience.

Who, me? Said the owl.
BAM! 
The day flew by, the three bouts were awesome to see and report. I completely loved being a part of this awesome event.  Never once did I feel tired, bored or distracted. Again being so close to the action turned out to be an awesome experience that taught me a lot. I guess in or close to derby you never stop learning.

After the last bout, Bambi, Pixie and I found our designated host Go-go Rillah, who directed us to her house. She had just moved in, so her house was pretty much stuffed with cardboard boxes, for which she kept excusing herself. The three of us assured her that there was no reason for excuses.  We were very honored she would have us, and soon enough she got us set with beds, sheets and I even got an interesting plush toy to sleep with…


Go-go took us to a falafel joint, some five minutes walking from her house.  When we entered the restaurant we realized we all were starving. Dinner was yummy, but it also did me in. Go-go, Bambi and Pixie decided to go to the after party, but agreed to drop me off at Go-go’s house first so I could sleep. By this time I was so tired I was on the verge of tears, so this was a very wise decision. While getting ready for bed in the bathroom, where I hadn’t closed the door, I heard keys in the front door. I swiftly pulled my pajama pants up and stuck my head ‘round the corner to see who was coming in. It was Go-gos boyfriend. Relieved that I managed to get dressed just in time, I introduced myself and made my way to bed. Where I soon fell into a much needed, deep, deep sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment